07 Dec What to Look For in a Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon
Newport Beach is home to some of the best plastic surgeons in the world, so how do you narrow down your top pick from the cream of the crop? John Park MD Plastic Surgery provides complimentary consultations for all surgeries, and that’s just one factor of many you should keep in mind when starting your journey. A surgeon who charges for consultations may not share the same priorities as you, and you deserve to a Newport Beach surgeon who is working for your best interest.
There are some “green flags” to look for when considering plastic surgery. Here are a few foundational items to check off your list:
- Make sure they’re board certified. You might think all plastic surgeons are board certified, but that’s not necessarily true. You’ll want to double check these credentials because certification means they’ve not only attained a standard of training and best practices, but sustained them. Current board certification requires surgeons to pass certain testing and undergo a certain number of additional training hours per year.
- Check their education. There are a number of specialties a doctor can pursue in their medical career. You want a plastic surgeon who has undergone significant education and additional training that is relevant to plastic surgery—particularly the surgery you’re interested in. A reputable surgeon will be quick to share their background and training with patients.
- Years of experience performing the surgery you’re interested in. There are many types of plastic surgeries. A great surgeon will typically specialize in a few to ensure that their results are the best they can be. If you notice that a surgeon offers virtually every type of plastic surgery there is, you may rightfully wonder what exactly they specialize in. How many times have they performed the surgery you are interested in? Choosing a surgeon who prioritizes a few key surgeries often means they have more experience in those surgeries.
- Look at before and after photos. A gallery is the best way to gauge a surgeon’s skill from a patient’s point of view. A reputable surgeon will also be quick to offer ample before and after gallery because they are happy to showcase their skills and happy patients. Look for patients who have similar features and goals as you, and you’ll be able to get a preview of what you can expect.
- Trust your instincts. You’re trusting a surgeon with your health, well-being, and results. Extensive experience and skill are critical, but do you also like the surgeon? How’s their bedside manner? Do you feel comfortable with them and feel confident in working with them for such a big event in your life? Your gut can tell you what photos and credentials can’t. This is another reason why complimentary consultations are so important.
- Look at third party reviews and testimonials. Word of mouth is still one of the best ways to find high-quality providers. In today’s digital era, that means reviews and testimonials from third party sites. What do patients have to say about the surgeon when they either have anonymity or are free to fully express themselves? It’s unlikely that you’ll have a number of friends or family members you can ask for recommendations for something as personal as plastic surgery, so online reviews are the next best thing. Take a holistic view of the reviews instead of dwelling on just a few. Overall, what do patients seem to be saying about the surgeon?
A great surgeon will make you feel comfortable, cared for, and confident during that very first meeting. The office will be warm, clean, and welcoming, and the entire staff will go above and beyond to put you at ease. This might be the first step in your surgical journey, and you deserve for it to be a positive one.
At John Park MD Plastic Surgery, patient safety, comfort, and satisfaction always come first. You’ll learn a lot during your complimentary consultation, including recommended next steps and what you can expect. To book your consultation, call John Park MD Plastic Surgery today at (949) 777-6883.